The last unit! Compared to 110 three inch 9-patches twenty center units seem like a piece of cake. While the units have various sized pieces this is still a 9-patch using the same strip piecing technique.
Making the center unit
- cut 6 red strips at 2 1/2″ x WOF (width of fabric)
- cut 3 white strips at 1 1/2″ x WOF
- cut 2 white strips at 2 1/2″ x WOF
- cut 1 red strip at 1 1/2″ x WOF
- Sew 2 red 2 1/2″ strips on the side of the 1 1/2″ white strip. Make three of these red-white-red strips. Press toward the red. Cross cut at 2 1/2″ for a total of 40.
- Sew 2 white 2 1/2″ strips on the side of the 1 1/2″ red strip. Press toward the red. Cross cut at 1 1/2″ for a total of 20.
- Arrange the units as shown, matching seams, and sew the center unit. Press away from the center.
Make the center row
Sew the remaining middle cross arms on either side of the center unit. Press toward the white.
Matching seams, sew the top and bottom rows to the center. The unfinished block should measure 15 1/2″.